Stepped Up to the Challenge? I Applaud You

We grow up being told that education leads to job security and that job security determines direction.  While this may be true in some aspects, focusing only on job security will be your inhibitor.

Many of you have made the decision to leave that comfort zone...  that hourly - that salary - that position  - that status.   Some of you have spent years studying for one industry only to find yourself in the green industry.  Now faced with the decision of whether or not to continue down your current path, you may be tempted to go back to something that you probably determined won't make you happy.

I want to remind you of the importance of bringing yourself to the point of discovery, learning what your tolerance for adversity is and then pushing past it.  Job security is one thing.  Knowing what you're made of is another.

It's been said that if you can go to bed at night knowing that you've learned something new that day, then you've allowed yourself to grow.  I believe that if you learn how to move forward, you allow your world to grow.

Yes, be smart and do your research, but don't allow your anxieties to keep you from you achieving success.

A note on anxiety.  Several years ago, a company that I was with went through several rounds of layoffs.  I remember pacing around the house all night.   After the layoffs were completed and I remained, I mentioned to my supervisor how nervous I was.  He smiled and simply said, "if you were going to get laid off, you would have already known."  He then followed up with a phrase that I'll never forget.  He said, "You alone create your own anxieties".  To this day, that phrase helps me focus on my objectives.

Remember that phrase when you step up to the challenge and test your threshold.  Make your move in to the industry and remember that your internship is your chance to not only open up doors to opportunities, but open your mind to the thought of becoming greater.

For those who stepped up to the challenge, I applaud you.

~Michael

Comments

  1. Amen brother! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] even talked about bringing yourself to the point of discovery here, but what I want to circle back to and acknowledge is that through every step of my life, there was [...]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sources for Solar Jobs and News

Floating Solar Panels

Avoiding the Industry Resource Choke