Mentoring at the Solar Ready Vets Careers Connect

I had the amazing opportunity to help be a mentor (for breakout sessions) during SEIA's "Solar Ready Vets Career Connect" event (11/19/20) for veterans looking to transition from the military into solar. (see Solar Ready Vets Network)

Here are the event details: Solar Ready Vets Careers Connect








I wanted to capture some of the topics that I discussed with my group during our breakout session and in the group forum: 

- Solar Is More Than Savings - It's important for veterans (or anyone) going into the industry to be sure their values are in line with that of solar.  Most of us, especially employers, know that solar's impact reaches beyond utility bill savings.  Solar can have a positive affect on the livelihood of a community and health of the planet. Whether it's saving a family money so they can take care of other essentials or if it's a larger approach such as with community solar, it's important to convey to hiring managers that your values are complimentary to solar and that you can be a champion in promoting the industry.  Employees that believe in the mission of the company tend to do what it takes to be their best for the cause.

- Solar is Resilient - Solar is one of the few industries able to weather market pullbacks.  I have been in the solar industry during several market and industry constrictions (The Great Recession, the surge in Chinese modules, and the recent pandemic) and through each of these, the solar industry has been one of the few industries that continued to thrive while the economy was in a downturn.

- "Let Solar Take You Where It Needs You"As I was telling my story of how I got into solar and listening to the vets share their background in preparation for their career change, I was reminded of just how robust the solar industry is and that solar will always have a place for them.   Solar has taken me through so many different paths.  I've been an installer, designer, business owner (x2), college professor, training manager, and my career continues to expand.  However, this wouldn't have happened if I didn't let the industry take me where it needed me.  I never set out to run a training company, but solar pointed me to communities that are challenged with access to solar career opportunities.  I never set out to own a solar installation company, but the more people needed solar, the more effort I put into building a team that could make it happen.   In 360-degree fashion, solar has even brought me back to connect with fellow veterans.  Almost 23 years later!   This is why I always tell my students to "let solar take you where it needs you".


To all the vets that attended the event - I'm proud to share a heritage with you and I look forward to hearing about your success within the solar industry

~Mr. D.
U.S. Army - 1989-1998





References for Veterans:


National Solar DatabaseSEIA's comprehensive list of solar companies in the United States.
Careers in Solar & Renewable Energy - OSEIA - Oregon Solar Energy Industry Association job database.
Hiring Our Heroes - Fellowship Program
Global Solar Connection Initiative - Training Resources from Solar Energy International




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sources for Solar Jobs and News

Floating Solar Panels

Being a Serious Generation